By breeding Triops, your children will develop social responsibility and care for a living creature from hatching to the end of its life. Because Triops live a very short life, children do not develop too strong a bond as they would with another animal. The species Triops longicaudatus grows very quickly and is sexually mature within 14 days.
After that, the Triops females start laying eggs in the sand. After the last Triops population has died, you can dry the eggs, freeze them and use them for a new breeding. Triops longicaudatus are comfortable with a temperature in the range of 25° C and can be bred with still mineral water, distilled water or river and lake water.
Experience prehistoric times with your children – in your living room with our starter sets!
“Triops longicaudatus Red” fact sheet:
Phylum: Arthropods (Arthropoda)
Subphylum: Crustaceans (Crustacea)
Size: 5 to 7 cm
Life expectancy: approx. 60 to 90 days
Temperature: 25 to 28° C
Scope of delivery:
- 1 x Egg-sand mixture (breeding stock)
- 1 x Faunabox 30 x 20 x 20 cm with integrated carrying handle, lockable feeding hatch and sufficient air circulation
- 1 x Aquarium heater 50 Watt
- 1 x Aquarium bottom cleaner
- 1 x Pipette for cleaning
- 1 x Glass precision thermometer 0 to 50 °C with suction cup
- 1 x Aquarium landing net
- 1 x sachet of staple food
- 1 x sachet Spirulina powder (young animal food)
- 1 x sachet of juvenile food (decapsulated Artemia eggs)
- 1 x sachet of sea almond leaf pieces
- 1 x Bag of aquarium sand (gravel), 2 kg
- 1 x Breeding instructions (in English)